Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Workshop with Michelle Swinehart

Day 1

     The first day working with Michelle was fun. We did an exercise based on the idea of speed-dating where you would sit across from someone and each person had about a minute to answer a question read by Michelle. While one person was talking, the partner wasn't supposed to say anything and just listen. After each person had answered you would move down a seat and get a new partner. It was cool to hear what everyone had to say, but sometimes it was really hard to hear the actual response because everyone was talking at the same time. It was also hard to not respond or actively participate to create a conversation rather than just listening to the other person.
     The second part of the day we did another exercise where you and one other person went somewhere in the art building and just had a 20 minute conversation about anything, but it had to be recorded. I went with Silverio to a room just around the corner and we had a conversation about school, hanging out, and our opinions about random things. I think that having a camera recording us made a little bit of a difference with what we decided to say because we didn't know if other people would eventually be listening to it. The last part of this exercise was to create a banner that represented how you wanted to remember or commemorate the experience you had with the other person and the conversation. For my banner I wanted to make it so different parts of the conversation were represented all together. I did this by taking random words that were brought up and making a funny sentence.


Day 2

     For the second day with Michelle we had to find someone in the art building and interview them for about 15 minutes while recording the conversation. Our goal was to find out if they liked to make things outside of school or at home. Silverio and I teamed up again and found a student in one of the classrooms who agreed to talk with us. He was very good at being interviewed because he gave extensive answers without Silverio or I having to prod him too much for information. The interesting things I learned about him were that his goal is to design his own comic book and that he likes to hang out with his friends, but he's very focused on the program and schooling he is doing at UW so he ends up working on art a lot of the time. The last step in this exercise is the edit the video and present it as a sound clip in class in an artistic way.

My Sound Clip:
     After editing the clip and listening to it multiple times I came up with the idea of changing the pitch of the voices to sound like a chipmunk. This idea came from the information about the student's desires to do animation and make comic books and I wanted to embody those aspirations in the dialog. It was meant to be kind of funny and not so serious since what he wants to do is slightly whimsical and light hearted. For presenting in class I matched the audio up with a video of a cartoon being speed painted. It looked cool when I was testing it out at home, but once it was in front of a lot of people in a big classroom, the quality was poor and did not work as well as I had hoped. Thinking about other ways to have gone about doing this project I would have changed a few things. First, I would have considered not altering the voices. Second, I would have matched the audio with one of the student's own drawings instead of a video found online, or I would collect copies of some of his cartoon drawings to make my own version of a comic book to be looked at while listening to the audio.

https://soundcloud.com/cbritt29/edited-cartoon-interview

No comments:

Post a Comment